Definition of Drosophilidae
1. Noun. Fruit flies.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Family
Group relationships: Diptera, Order Diptera
Member holonyms: Genus Drosophila
Medical Definition of Drosophilidae
1. A family of the order diptera. These flies are generally found around decaying vegetation and fruit. Several species, because of their short life span, giant salivary gland chromosomes, and ease of culturing, have been used extensively in studies of heredity. (12 Dec 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Drosophilidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Drosophilidae
Literary usage of Drosophilidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings by Pacific Science Association (1921)
"The extraordinary development of the drosophilidae is the most striking feature of the dipterous fauna, there being about 50 species known, and probably ..."
2. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by Anna Lorraine Guthrie, Marion A. Knight, H.W. Wilson Company, Estella E. Painter (1920)
"... Additional types of chromosome groups in the drosophilidae. C: W. Metz, bibliog il Am Nat 50:587-99 О '16 Case of abnormal inheritance in drosophila ..."
3. The Canadian Entomologist by Entomological Society of Canada (1951- ), Entomological Society of Ontario (1893)
"... breeding in hen dung (Riley A; Howard, Ins. Life, II., 254). It is perhaps doubtful whether this fly belonged to the drosophilidae. Fam. ..."
4. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1919)
"... i Dr. AH Sturtevant on the drosophilidae. The list of 1894, contained 115 species, has been corrected in the present list, contains 322 species and ..."