Definition of Drug withdrawal
1. Noun. The termination of drug taking.
Generic synonyms: Conclusion, Ending, Termination
Specialized synonyms: Cold Turkey
Medical Definition of Drug withdrawal
1. A clinical syndrome of psychological, and, sometimes physical factors that result from the sustained use of a particular drug when the drug is abruptly withdrawn. Symptoms are variable but may include anxiety, nervousness, irritability, sweating, nausea, vomiting, rapid heart rate, rapid breathing and seizures. (27 Sep 1997)
Drug Withdrawal Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Drug Withdrawal Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Drug Withdrawal
Literary usage of Drug withdrawal
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine (1903)
"In addition copulation plugs continued to be observed under each male's cage during the period of time following drug withdrawal that the males remained ..."
2. Health Consequences of Smoking: Nicotine Addiction a Report of the Surgeon by C. Everett Koop, M.D., DIANE Publishing Company (1988)
"Measurement of drug withdrawal phenomena entails recording physiological, ... Each drug withdrawal syndrome is unique to a particular drug class and animal ..."
3. Problems of Drug Dependence: Proceedings of the 58th Annual Scientific Meeting by Louie S. Harrie (1999)
"The extended amygdala is a neural system that may mediate both the acute reinforcing effects of drugs and drug withdrawal ..."
4. Drug Abuse Curriculum for Employee Assistance Program Professionalsby DIANE Publishing Company by DIANE Publishing Company (1995)
"... perspective relate to the: • nature of the drug action, • length of the drug action, • nature of drug withdrawal, and • length of drug withdrawal. ..."
5. Drug-Exposed Infants: A Generation at Risk (1994)
"Some will show no signs of drug withdrawal, while for others withdrawal ... When an infant does not show signs of drug withdrawal or the mother does not ..."