Definition of Echeneis
1. Noun. Type genus of the Echeneididae: typical remoras.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Echeneididae, Family Echeneidae, Family Echeneididae
Member holonyms: Echeneis Naucrates, Sharksucker
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Echeneis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Echeneis
Literary usage of Echeneis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1864)
"have restricted echeneis to the genus typified by E. naucrates and called that one typified by E. remora, Remora, which name Dr. Bleeker has since ..."
2. Edinburgh New Philosophical Journal, Exhibiting a View of the Progressive by Robert Jameson, Sir William Jardine, Henry D Rogers (1856)
"The ancients had the most absurd fables regarding the species with which they were familiar (the echeneis remora of the Mediterranean), all bearing some ..."
3. The Fishes of Zanzibar by Robert Lambert Playfair, Albert Carl Ludwig Gotthilf Günther (1866)
"Tropical farts of the Atlantic. echeneis, Artedi. 225. echeneis remora. ... Seas of temperate and tropical regions. 226. echeneis naucrates. [IOC. ..."
4. The Natural History of Pliny by Pliny, John Bostock, Henry Thomas Riley (1890)
"THE echeneis, AND ITS USES IN ENCHANTMENTS. ... and is known as the echeneis.i It is believed that when this has attached itself to the keel of a ship its ..."
5. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"Inhabits the coast of France.(2) . echeneis, Lin. This genus, as well as that of Pleuronectes, might form a particular family in the order of the ..."
6. Catalogue of the Fishes in the British Museum by Albert Carl Ludwig Gotthilf Günther (1860)
"echeneis brachyptera. Remora, Catesby, Hist. Natur. South Carol, ii. p. 26. pi. ... Zoul. Soc. 1839, p. 89, and Trans. Zool. p. 155. echeneis pallida, Temm. ..."