Definition of Edward iii
1. Noun. Son of Edward II and King of England from 1327-1377; his claim to the French throne provoked the Hundred Years' War; his reign was marked by an epidemic of the Black Plague and by the emergence of the House of Commons as the powerful arm of British Parliament (1312-1377).
Edward Iii Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Edward Iii Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Edward Iii
Literary usage of Edward iii
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The History of the Life and Times of Edward the Thirdby William Longman by William Longman (1869)
""May be considered as a continuation" of the author's "Lectures on the history of England," 1857-63, which ended with the death of..."
2. Publicationsby Oxford Historical Society by Oxford Historical Society (1900)
"Edward III, i. 185 ; iv. 185, 305. Edward IV, ii. 212. Edward V, ii. 308. Edward VI, ii. 213, 306; iv. 269. — Common Prayer, ii. 148. — grammar schools, ii. ..."
3. The Political History of England by William Hunt, Reginald Lane Poole (1905)
"The following are of primary importance for the early years of 1377 ~f Edward III. ; it is significant that they are nearly all secular, not monastic, ..."
4. View of the State of Europe During the Middle Ages by Henry Hallam (1872)
"gradual Progress of the Authority of Parliament traced through the Reigns of Edward III. and his Successors down to Henry IV. ..."
5. Shakspere's Predecessors in the English Drama by John Addington Symonds (1900)
"Edward III.'—The Problem of its Authorship—Based on a Novella and on History—The Superior Development of Situations.—VII. Marlowe's ' Edward II. ..."
6. English Constitutional History from the Teutonic Conquest to the Present Time by Thomas Pitt Taswell-Langmead (1905)
"On two occasions during the reign of Edward III., the Commons interfered with great ... (i) In the Parliament which met in April 1341 (15 Edward III. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Edward iii