Definition of Edwards
1. Noun. American theologian whose sermons and writings stimulated a period of renewed interest in religion in America (1703-1758).
Definition of Edwards
1. Proper noun. (surname A=An English and Welsh patronymic from=given names dot=) from the given name Edward. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Edwards Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Edwards
Literary usage of Edwards
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The New England Historical and Genealogical Register (1913)
"We believe that Wyman is wrong in his statement that John edwards married Elizabeth Walker. It would seem, on the other hand, from the facts presented, ..."
2. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by Anna Lorraine Guthrie, Marion A. Knight, H.W. Wilson Company, Estella E. Painter (1920)
"Munie R 8:196-7 Mr '19 edwards, JG School board situation in Chicago. ... Miss Val Hist R 5:434-49 Mr '19 edwards, Merwin Guy Resources of California. ..."
3. South Eastern Reporter by West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, West Publishing Company, South Carolina Supreme Court (1919)
"Suit by Julia edwards against WH Wade, administrator of the estate of Isaac Waters deceased. Verdict for defendant and motion for new trial granted, ..."
4. Supreme Court Reporter by Robert Desty, United States Supreme Court, West Publishing Company (1887)
"edwards. at Hartford, Conn., stating the time, place, and cause of death, and shall within seven months thereafter, by direct and reliable evidence, ..."
5. The Cambridge History of American Literature by William Peterfield Trent, John Erskine, Stuart Pratt Sherman, Carl Van Doren (1917)
"Also as Jonathan edwards, The International Review, vol. 9, pp. 1-28, July 1880. ... King, HC Jonathan edwards as Philosopher and Theologian. Hartford Sem. ..."
6. The Encyclopædia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"His collected works were edited by his grandson Tryon edwards in ... In 1829 Sereno E. Dwight. a great-grandson of edwards, published the Life and Works in ..."
7. The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge: Embracing by Johann Jakob Herzog, Philip Schaff, Albert Hauck (1910)
"Jonathan edwards the Elder: By birth and early training belonging to the strictest circles of the old theology, and by nature and religious experience ..."