Definition of Emirs
1. Noun. (plural of emir) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Emirs
1. emir [n] - See also: emir
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Emirs Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Emirs
Literary usage of Emirs
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon (1900)
"The circus and three stately theatres of Laodicea are 6y The partition of the Turkish emirs is extracted from two contemporaries, the Greek Nicephorus ..."
2. The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon (1899)
"0 The partition of the Turkish emirs is extracted from two contemporaries, the Greek Nicephorus Gregoras (1. vii. ..."
3. Picturesque Sicily by William Agnew Paton (1897)
"... passing Misilmeri, a town of Saracenic origin, as its Arabic name Men- zil-al-Amir (the Village of the emirs) abundantly testifies. ..."
4. Mahdiism and the Egyptian Sudan: Being an Account of the Rise and Progress by Francis Reginald Wingate (1891)
"1200 4th Osman A/rak RESUME Number of emirs killed at Argin Number of emirs killed nt Toski Number of emirs taken prisoners Number of emirs who escaped . ..."
5. Roger of Wendover's Flowers of History: Comprising the History of England ...by Matthew Paris, Roger by Matthew Paris, Roger (1842)
"Ill, seq. ; names of his emirs, 121 ; is attacked and put to flight by the garrison, 122, seq. Kime, S. de, one of the confederacy against king John, iii. ..."
6. History of the Moorish Empire in Europe by Samuel Parsons Scott (1904)
"... the Almoravides—Their Fanaticism and Prowess—They conquer Northern Africa—The Spanish emirs appeal to Yusuf—He crosses the Strait—Rout of the Christians ..."
7. Towards Khartoum: The Story of the Soudan War of 1896 by Andrew Hilliard Atteridge (1897)
"The fourth column which 1 have added to the list gives the fate of the emirs so far as it was known at Sargun on June loth, the date of the memoranda on ..."