Definition of Emperor butterfly
1. Noun. Large richly colored butterfly.
Generic synonyms: Brush-footed Butterfly, Four-footed Butterfly, Nymphalid, Nymphalid Butterfly
Group relationships: Apatura, Genus Apatura
Specialized synonyms: Apatura Iris, Purple Emperor
Emperor Butterfly Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Emperor Butterfly Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Emperor Butterfly
Literary usage of Emperor butterfly
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Tribute: A Collection of Miscellaneous Unpublished Poems by Various Authors by Alfred Tennyson Tennyson, Charles Tennyson Turner (1837)
"... COWPER'S OAK AND THE emperor butterfly, A FABLE. BY THE EDITOR. A BUTTERFLY one summer's day Sat on an old oak's topmost spray— A Butterfly that but of ..."
2. The National Magazine by Abel Stevens, James Floy (1853)
"This speech was greatly applauded, and Sir Harry Highflyer, the emperor butterfly, saying he was well acquainted with a situation every way fit for the ..."
3. Sargent's School Monthly, for Home and School Use by Epes Sargent (1859)
"Sir Harry Highflier, the emperor butterfly, sent the flask-shaped dormitory occupied by himself whilst in a state of quiescence. Messrs. ..."
4. The New International Encyclopædia edited by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby (1903)
"See BOA. , emperor butterfly AM) MOTH. ( 1 ) A group of butterflies of the southern United States. The best-known species is the ..."
5. The Cambridge Natural History by Arthur Everett Shipley, Sidney Frederic Harmer (1899)
"... making the Insect a fantastic object; the strange appearance is frequently in- Fio. 177.—Pupa of the Purple emperor butterfly, Creased by patches like ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Emperor butterfly