Definition of Encephalomeningitis
1. Noun. Inflammation of the brain and spinal cord and their meninges.
Generic synonyms: Meningitis, Cephalitis, Encephalitis, Phrenitis
Medical Definition of Encephalomeningitis
1. Synonym: meningoencephalitis. Origin: encephalo-+ G. Meninx, membrane, + -itis, inflammation (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Encephalomeningitis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Encephalomeningitis
Literary usage of Encephalomeningitis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Surgery, Its Principles and Practice by William Williams Keen (1906)
"... considers the disease to be an acute encephalomeningitis and the areas of softening have been described by ..."
2. Annual of the Universal Medical Sciencesedited by [Anonymus AC02809657] edited by [Anonymus AC02809657] (1896)
"It was a case of encephalomeningitis, predominating in the convex part of the brain. Bacteriological examination did not reveal the presence of the ..."
3. A Pocket medical dictionary: Giving the Pronunciation and Definition of the ...by George Milbry Gould by George Milbry Gould (1911)
"A tumor of the brain. Encephalomalacia, en-sef-al-o-mal-a'-se-ah. Softening of the brain. encephalomeningitis, en-sef-al-o-men-in-ji'-tis. ..."
4. The Student's Medical Dictionary by George Milbry Gould (1896)
"M.,Chronic Cerebral, is due to syphilis, tuberculosis, or may be associated with disease of the brain in encephalomeningitis (paretic dementia). ..."
5. Differential Diagnosis and Treatment of Disease: A Text-book for by Augustus Caillé (1906)
"... mind that all the symptoms spoken of are the usual ones of a group of pathological conditions which we class under the heading of encephalomeningitis, ..."