Definition of Epidermal cell
1. Noun. Any of the cells making up the epidermis.
Generic synonyms: Skin Cell
Specialized synonyms: Melanoblast, Melanocyte
Medical Definition of Epidermal cell
1. 1. Cell of epidermis in animals. 2. Plant cell on the surface of a leaf or other young plant tissue, where bark is absent. The exposed surface is covered with a layer of cutin. This entry appears with permission from the Dictionary of Cell and Molecular Biology (11 Mar 2008)
Epidermal Cell Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Epidermal Cell Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Epidermal Cell
Literary usage of Epidermal cell
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A treatise on zoology. by E. Ray Lankester (1901)
"... in an epidermal cell;./', parenchymal syncytium ; /,-, the nucleus of a muscle cell (or myoblast); I, gland cell; o, oblique or diagonal muscles ; rf, ..."
2. Text-book of Botany, Morphological and Physical by Julius Sachs (1882)
"In consequence of the U-shape of the di visi on-wall which separates the mother- cell of the stoma from the epidermal cell, the former is half, ..."
3. The Structure and Development of Mosses and Ferns (Archegoniatae). by Douglas Houghton Campbell (1905)
"185, v), horse-shoe shaped, and cutting off a small cell from one corner of an epidermal cell. A similar wall forms within this small cell, parallel to the ..."
4. The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science by Iowa Academy of Science (1898)
"1. Cell cavity of epidermal cells large. a. Stratification of epidermal cell-walls evident. ... Stratification of epidermal cell-walls not evident. ..."