Definition of Epilobium
1. Noun. Large widely distributed genus of herbs and subshrubs of especially western North America and Arctic areas.
Generic synonyms: Rosid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Evening-primrose Family, Family Onagraceae, Onagraceae
Member holonyms: Willowherb, Epilobium Angustifolium, Fireweed, Giant Willowherb, Rosebay Willowherb, Wickup, California Fuchsia, Epilobium Canum Canum, Humming Bird's Trumpet, Zauschneria Californica
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Epilobium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Epilobium
Literary usage of Epilobium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine (1842)
"On epilobium angustifolium, and species which have been confounded with it. ... THERE appears to be two species of epilobium confounded by British botanists ..."
2. Hortus Kewensis: Or, A Catalogue of the Plants Cultivated in the Royal by William Aiton (1789)
"Narrow-leav'd epilobium, or Rofe-bay Willow-herh. Nat. of Britain. ... Linear-leav'd epilobium. Nat. of Switzerland. Introd. ..."
3. Alpines and Bog-plants by Reginald John Farrer (1908)
"And the same must be said, too, of epilobium angustifolium, ... The only other epilobium I have to tell of is a wee New Zealand creeper that I first saw at ..."
4. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Held at Philadelphia for by American Philosophical Society (1889)
"... Vib. nud., Taxus, Spiraea salicifolia, Pteris, Oenothera. Thalictrum dioicum, Actaea spicata alba, epilobium ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Epilobium