Definition of Evergreen wood fern
1. Noun. North American evergreen fern having pinnate leaves and dense clusters of lance-shaped fronds.
Generic synonyms: Fern
Group relationships: Genus Polystichum, Polystichum
2. Noun. North American fern with evergreen fronds.
Generic synonyms: Wood Fern, Wood-fern, Woodfern
Evergreen Wood Fern Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Evergreen Wood Fern Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Evergreen Wood Fern
Literary usage of Evergreen wood fern
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Plant Names, Scientific and Popular, Including in the Case of Each Plant the by Albert Brown Lyons (1900)
"... Asp. marginale Swz., N. marginale Michx.). British America, south to Alabama and Arkansas. Evergreen Wood-fern, Marginal-fruited Shield-fern? ..."
2. The Vascular Flora of Pennsylvania: Annotated Checklist and Atlas by Ann Fowler Rhoads, William M. Klein (1993)
"F Dryopteris marginalis (L.) A.Gray evergreen wood fern; Marginal shield fern Herbaceous perennial Rocky ledges, talus slopes and shaded edges, ..."
3. Our Ferns in Their Haunts: A Guide to All the Native Species by Willard Nelson Clute (1901)
"It is sometimes called the evergreen wood fern, but in latitudes where several of the wood ferns are evergreen, this title is somewhat misleading. ..."