Definition of Excise tax
1. Noun. A tax that is measured by the amount of business done (not on property or income from real estate).
Generic synonyms: Indirect Tax
Specialized synonyms: Nuisance Tax, Sales Tax, Ad Valorem Tax, Value-added Tax, Vat, Gasoline Tax
Derivative terms: Excise
Definition of Excise tax
1. Noun. Any of various taxes levied on the production or sale of certain goods, especially on luxuries, tobacco, alcohol etc. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Excise Tax Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Excise Tax Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Excise Tax
Literary usage of Excise tax
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Supreme Court Reporter by Robert Desty, United States Supreme Court, West Publishing Company (1922)
"93, imposing an excise tax on gasoline, were not separable as to domestic and ... Commerce <g=>72— excise tax may be Imposed on gasoline brought from other ..."
2. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1903)
"That, in addition to remitting said excise tax, the government issued to the exporter a certificate certifying that he had exported such ..."
3. Preventing Tobacco Use Among Young People: A Report of the Surgeon General by M. Joycelyn Elders (1997)
"In 1969, North Carolina became the last state to enact an excise tax on ... The average date when these states instituted a cigarette excise tax was ..."
4. Auditing Theory and Practice by Robert Hiester Montgomery (1912)
"PARTNERSHIP AND INDIVIDUAL excise tax The following is the text of the bill introduced in the last session of Congress, which extends the excise tax on net ..."
5. The Science of Finance: An Investigation of Public Expenditures and Public by Henry Carter Adams (1898)
"An excise tax, as that phrase was used before differentiated from import duties, ... The propriety of calling an excise tax a single tax rests upon the ..."
6. Financial History of the United States by Davis Rich Dewey (1902)
"excise tax on Whiskey. The tariff bill of i 789 was passed before there could be a full knowledge of the exact needs of the government or of the ..."
7. General Explanation of Tax Legislation Enacted in 1998: Report of the Joint edited by William Roth, Bill Archer (2000)
"With the exception of 4.3 cents per gallon of the motor fuels excise tax ... The present and prior law highway motor fules excise tax rates are shown in ..."