¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Exosporium
1. [n -RIA]
Medical Definition of Exosporium
1. The outer envelope of a spore. (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Exosporium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Exosporium
Literary usage of Exosporium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. On the Germination, Development, and Fructification of the Higher by Wilhelm Hofmeister, Frederick Currey (1862)
"If however the exosporium be immersed for half an hour in a saturated solution of glycerine, it becomes sufficiently transparent to expose to view ..."
2. A Student's Text-book of Botany by Sydney Howard Vines (1896)
"The spores are generally tetrahedral, with two coats, the outer of which (exosporium) is tuberculate or reticulate on the surface. ..."
3. Quarterly Journal of Microscopical Science edited by Biologists Limited, The Company of. (1875)
"12), resembling the germination of the.'s] of Eurotium. At first the exosporium ruptures by the swelling of the contents of the spores, but it is not thrown ..."
4. Diseases of Cultivated Plants and Trees by George Massee (1913)
"This genus is closely allied to Coryneum, if indeed there is any real difference between the two. Larch branch fungus (exosporium ..."
5. A Text-book of Bacteriology by George Miller Sternberg (1901)
"The outer envelope, or exosporium, is cast off and may be seen in the vicinity of ... 70, and in other species the exosporium is ruptured and the bacillus ..."