Definition of Family Astacidae
1. Noun. Crayfish.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Family
Group relationships: Decapoda, Order Decapoda
Member holonyms: Crawdad, Crawdaddy, Crawfish, Crayfish, Astacus, Genus Astacus, Cambarus, Genus Cambarus
Family Astacidae Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Family Astacidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Astacidae
Literary usage of Family Astacidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Natural History of the American Lobster by Francis Hobart Herrick (1911)
"The crayfish (of the family Astacidae) has become a favorite subject in zoology, and very few invertebrates have received the degree of attention which ..."
2. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Held at Philadelphia for by American Philosophical Society (1901)
"... on North American Crayfishes, family Astacidae " (fr. US Mas.. Vol. 12, 1890). FAXON, W. : " Observations on the ..."
3. An Introduction to the Study of Fossils (plants and Animals) by Hervey Woodburn Shimer (1914)
"Crayfish of the family Astacidae, to which Cambarus belongs, have been found from the Cretaceous to the present day. The distinction of Cambarus from ..."
4. The Voyage of the "Challenger.": The Atlantic; a Preliminary Account of the by Charles Wyville Thomson (1878)
"Warped in the hempen tangles there was a fine specimen of a handsome decapod crustacean, having all the principal characters of the family Astacidae, ..."
5. Maryland Geological Survey by Maryland Geological Survey (1916)
"... near Seat Pleasant, Prince George's County. Collection.—Maryland Geological Survey. ARTHROPODA CLASS CRUSTACEA' Order DECAPODA Family ASTACIDAE Genus ..."