Definition of Family Panorpidae
1. Noun. A family of insects of the order Mecoptera.
Group relationships: Mecoptera, Order Mecoptera
Member holonyms: Scorpion Fly
Generic synonyms: Family
Family Panorpidae Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Family Panorpidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Panorpidae
Literary usage of Family Panorpidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Insect Book: A Popular Account of the Bees, Wasps, Ants, Grasshoppers by Leland Ossian Howard (1905)
"... Hymenopterous insects and the male abdomen is swollen at the tip almost like that of one of the so-called " Scorpion flies " of the family Panorpidae ..."
2. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1878)
"... a remarkable new genus and species of Neuroptera from Chili, pertaining to the family Panorpidae. ..."
3. Introduction to Entomology by James Duncan, Sir William Jardine (1860)
"PLATE XXVII. Fig. 3. Westwood; Trans. Ent. Sac. Vol. 1, p. 75. OP the family Panorpidae, which contains but few ..."
4. Tijdschrift voor entomologie by Nederlandsche Entomologische Vereeniging (1879)
"... a remarkable new genus and species of Neuroptera from Chili pertaining to the family Panorpidae, by R. Me. Lachlan. — Entomological Notes, by J. 0. ..."