Definition of Family Viverridae
1. Noun. Genets; civets; mongooses.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Family
Group relationships: Carnivora, Order Carnivora
Member holonyms: Viverrine, Viverrine Mammal, Civet, Civet Cat, Genus Viverra, Viverra, Genus Viverricula, Viverricula, Arctictis, Genus Arctictis, Cryptoprocta, Genus Cryptoprocta, Fossa, Genus Fossa, Genetta, Genus Genetta, Genus Hemigalus, Hemigalus, Genus Herpestes, Herpestes, Genus Paradoxurus, Paradoxurus, Genus Suricata, Suricata
Family Viverridae Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Family Viverridae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Viverridae
Literary usage of Family Viverridae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: “a” Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature edited by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"The hyenas or hyaenas (Hyaenidae) differ from the preceding family (Viverridae) in the absence of a distinct vertical partition ..."
2. The Fur Traders and Fur Bearing Animals by Marcus Petersen (1914)
"It is a carnivorous animal, classed by Linnaeus as the (Viverra-ichneumon), but is now known as the Herpestes-ichneumon of the family Viverridae or Civet. ..."
3. Natural History: A Manual of Zoology for Schools, Colleges, and the General by Sanborn Tenney (1872)
"... Canidae or Dog Family, Viverridae or Civet Family, Mustelidae or Weasel Family, Ursidae or Bear Family, and the Phocidae or Seal Family. ..."
4. Outlines of zoology by John Arthur Thomson (1895)
"family Viverridae—Old World forms, such as civets ( Viverra), of Africa and India, genets (Genetta), of S. Europe, Africa, and S.-W. Asia, ..."