Definition of Family cypraeidae
1. Noun. Family of marine gastropods comprising the cowries.
Generic synonyms: Mollusk Family
Group relationships: Order Pectinibranchia, Pectinibranchia
Member holonyms: Cypraea, Genus Cypraea
Family Cypraeidae Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Family Cypraeidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Cypraeidae
Literary usage of Family cypraeidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Monograph of the Molluscan Fauna of the Orthaulax Pugnax Zone of the by William Healey Dall (1915)
"Family CYPRAEIDAE. Genus CYPRAEA Linnaeus. CYPRAEA CAPENSIS Lamarck. Cat. No. 18174, USNM, one from Natal. Cat. No. 7i USNM, three from Cape of Good Hope. ..."
2. American Journal of Conchology by George Washington Tryon, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Conchological Section (1871)
"... inner lip smooth," and that both the latter and the family Cypraeidae are accredited with a " spire concealed." In the latest monograph of the family ..."
3. Reports Dealing with the Systematic Geology and Paleontology of Maryland by Maryland Geological Survey (1901)
"Occurrence.—AQUIA FORMATION. 1 mile southeast of Mason Springs, 2 miles below Potomac Creek. Collection.-—Maryland Geological Survey. Family CYPRAEIDAE. ..."
4. Report on Paleontology by New Jersey Geological Survey (1907)
"Formation and locality.—Navesink marl, Crosswicks Creek (Whitfield). Geographic distribution.—New Jersey. Family CYPRAEIDAE. Genus CYPRAEA Linneus. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Family cypraeidae