Definition of Family tabanidae
1. Noun. Horseflies.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Family
Group relationships: Diptera, Order Diptera
Member holonyms: Cleg, Clegg, Horse Fly, Horsefly
Family Tabanidae Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Family Tabanidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Tabanidae
Literary usage of Family tabanidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Sanitary Entomology: The Entomology of Disease, Hygiene and Sanitation by William Dwight Pierce (1921)
"family tabanidae Horse Flies The family Tabanidae contains the horse flies, gad flies, deer flies, many genera and species of bloodsuckers. ..."
2. Proceedings of the Ohio Academy of Science: Annual Reports of the 1st-40th by Ohio Academy of Science (1901)
"A synoptic table of the genera of the family Tabanidae. ... On the Entomology of the Illinois River and Adjacent Waters: family Tabanidae. ..."
3. Fresh-water Biology by Henry Baldwin Ward, George Chandler Whipple (1918)
"60 60(63) Terminal cleft vertical; head retractile. Family TABANIDAE . . 61 61 (62) Last antennal se?m?nt much longer than ..."
4. Entomology for Beginners for the Use of Young Folks, Fruit-growers, Farmers by Alpheus Spring Packard (1888)
"family tabanidae.—Third joint of the antennae annulate. and always without style or bristle; eyes large; tegulae large. The females of the horse-flies alone ..."
5. Medical and Veterinary Entomology: A Textbook for Use in Schools and by William Brodbeck Herms (1915)
"To the family Tabanidae belong the biting flies commonly called horseflies, gadflies and deer flies. All the genera belonging to this family consist of ..."