Definition of Female horse
1. Noun. Female equine animal.
Group relationships: Equidae, Family Equidae
Generic synonyms: Equus Caballus, Horse
Specialized synonyms: Broodmare, Stud Mare
Female Horse Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Female Horse Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Female Horse
Literary usage of Female horse
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Primary School Spelling-book: Designed for Primary and Intermediate Schools by William Draper Swan (1858)
"... one who digs. mi nor, under age. mare, a female horse. may or, chief magistrate. nay, not so. neigh, the voice of a horse. ..."
2. Grammar and Thinking: A Study of the Working Conceptions in Syntax by Alfred Dwight Sheffield (1912)
"Thus while we have no name for 'horse of white colour* (answering to mare, filly for 'female horse,' 'young female horse'), we can describe it by while ..."
3. A Dictionary of English Plant-names by James Britten, Robert Holland (1886)
"... female horse-tail," Lat. cauda equina foemina, being looked upon as the female of the larger and stronger Equisetum fluviatile. ..."
4. Folk-Etymology: A Dictionary of Verbal Corruptions Or Words Perverted in by Abram Smythe Palmer (1882)
"Thus a distinguished scholar speaking of the ancient Egyptian language says, " The name of the female horse was 8f.s-mut, the last word either ..."