Definition of Festuca
1. Noun. A genus of tufted perennial grasses of the family Gramineae.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Graminaceae, Family Gramineae, Family Poaceae, Graminaceae, Gramineae, Grass Family, Poaceae
Member holonyms: Fescue, Fescue Grass, Festuca Elatior, Meadow Fescue, Festuca Ovina, Sheep Fescue, Sheep's Fescue, Silver Grass
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Festuca Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Festuca
Literary usage of Festuca
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. English Botany; Or, Coloured Figures of British Plants, with Their Essential ...by Sir James Edward Smith, James Sowerby by Sir James Edward Smith, James Sowerby (1793)
"SPEC. CHAR. Panicle upright, pointing one way, nearly One valve of the calyx very short. SVN. festuca uniglumis. Soland. in Ait. H. Keu. r. ..."
2. The Grasses of Iowa by Louis Hermann Pammel, Julius Buel Weems, F. Lamson-Scribner (1904)
"festuca. festuca L. Sp. P1. 73. 1753. Endlicher Gen. P1. 101. Bentham and Hooker. Gen. P1. 3: 1198. Hackel in Engler and Prantl. Nat. Pflanz. Fam. 11. ..."
3. Acta Soc. Pro Fauna Et Flora Fennica by Societas pro Fauna et Flora Fennica (1902)
"... on Car. jm- cella ja festuca rubra, mitkä yhdessä Car. salina ... Gerardi & Cal. stricta & festuca ..."
4. The Book of Grasses: An Illustrated Guide to the Common Grasses, and the by Mary Francis Baker (1912)
"... seen also j by the wayside bending over ripening spikes of Sweet 1 Vernal-grass. ! ' Sheep's Fescue (festuca ovina) and Slender Ч Slender Fescue festuca ..."