Definition of Filago
1. Noun. Any plant of the genus Filago having capitate clusters of small woolly flower heads.
Generic synonyms: Flower
Group relationships: Genus Filago
Specialized synonyms: Filago Germanica, Herba Impia
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Filago Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Filago
Literary usage of Filago
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Botany by Geological Survey of California, William Henry Brewer, Sereno Watson, Asa Gray (1880)
"filago, Linn. Head discoid, the pistillate flowers with filiform corolla few or many in more than one series on the ..."
2. The Entomologist's Record and Journal of Variation by James William Tutt, Malcolm Burr (1890)
"... Kirby, in some numbers at the roots of filago ; previously, only odd specimens had turned up by sweeping long grasses.—ID. ..."
3. Bibliography of Worcestershire by John Richard Burton, John Humphreys (1907)
"Cooke, MC, 247 Cotswold-Naturalists' Field Club, 247 filago apiculata, 227 Fir Club Moss in Worcestershire, 223 Hereford Times, 243 Hieracium rigidum, ..."
4. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States: Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1898)
"filago prolifera Britton, Mem. Torr. Club, 5:329. 1894. ... [Anagram oí filago.'} About io species, natives of warm and temperate regions. ..."