Definition of Finger-spell
1. Verb. Communicate by means of specific gestures, as an alternative to sign language. "The Deaf often fingerspell"
Generic synonyms: Communicate, Intercommunicate
Derivative terms: Fingerspelling
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Finger-spell Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Finger-spell
Literary usage of Finger-spell
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Circular of Information by Volta Bureau (U.S.), Volta Bureau (1894)
"Of course any deaf person who can finger spell what he wishes to say can also write the same thing in English, ..."
2. The Encyclopedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"Teach i- by and through finger-spell ing, reading, writing and S-TT.': where necessary to explain the English, and teach tho?c in v Ь-•--*• case it U worth ..."
3. Working with Youth in High-Risk Environments: Experiences in Prevention edited by Carol E. Marcus, John D. Swisher (1996)
"... welcome Joan's full participation in the program. The "biggest challenge," staff indicated, was having to "finger-spell" drug names during an activity! ..."
4. Education of Deaf Children: Evidence of Edward Miner Gallaudet and Alexander by Edward Miner Gallaudet, Alexander Graham Bell (1892)
"Pantomime and finger-spell- ' ing, as jealously excluded now from oral schools ' as the ' long keels of the northmen,' will prove a ' boon, a help, ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Finger-spell