Definition of Finger grass
1. Noun. Grasses with creeping stems that root freely; a pest in lawns.
Generic synonyms: Grass
Specialized synonyms: Crowfoot Grass, Dactyloctenium Aegypticum, Egyptian Grass, Digitaria Ischaemum, Smooth Crabgrass, Digitaria Sanguinalis, Hairy Finger Grass, Large Crabgrass
Group relationships: Digitaria, Genus Digitaria
2. Noun. Any grass of the genus Chloris; occurs in short grassland especially on waste ground or poor soils.
Specialized synonyms: Chloris Gayana, Rhodes Grass, Chloris Truncata, Creeping Windmill Grass, Star Grass, Windmill Grass
Finger Grass Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Finger Grass Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Finger Grass
Literary usage of Finger grass
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Cyclopedia of American Horticulture: Comprising Suggestions for Cultivation by Liberty Hyde Bailey, Wilhelm Miller (1902)
"When larger wind-breaks are required, to resist the force of heavy and steady winds sweeping over the WINTER PROTECTION WINDMILL finger grass. ..."
2. Austral English: A Dictionary of Australasian Words, Phrases, and Usages by Edward Ellis Morris (1898)
"Called also Hairy finger grass, and Reddish Panic Grass. 35. Finger G.—Egyptian— Eleusine ... Finger G.—Hairy— (iq Cocksfoot finger grass. See 33.) 37. ..."
3. Flora of Miami: Being Descriptions of the Seed-plants Growing Naturally on by John Kunkel Small (1913)
"CRAB- GRASS or FINGER-GRASS. Rachis of the racemes with the angles naked, not winged : first scale wanting or sometimes present as an inconspicuous rudiment ..."
4. Botany of the United States North of Virginia: Comprising Descriptions of by Lewis Caleb Beck (1848)
"Hairy Finger-grass. Crab-grass. 2. D. glabra R. $• S.: leaves and sheaths smooth; spikes digitate ... Slender Finger-grass. 11. PANICUM. Linn.—'Punie Grass. ..."
5. Grasses and Forage Plants: A Practical Treatise, Comprising Their Natural by Charles Louis Flint (1860)
"SLENDER CRAB GRASS (Panicum filiforme) is an annual finger grass, ... The stems of the finger grass are from one to two feet high, erect, spreading; ..."
6. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1913)
"Naturalized from Europe. Widely distributed as a weed in all cultivated regions. July-Aug. Hairy Finger-grass ; Crowfoot or Pigeon-grass. 6. ..."