Definition of First period
1. Noun. The first division into which the play of a game is divided.
First Period Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: First Period Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of First Period
Literary usage of First period
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge: Embracing by Johann Jakob Herzog, Philip Schaff, Albert Hauck (1909)
"During the first period of its life (1785-1810) its standpoint was strictly orthodox and supernaturalistic. The doctrines of vicarious atonement, ..."
2. The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon (1899)
"3 Pride And ignorance contributed, during the first period, to confine within narrow limits the science of the Roman law. On the public days of market or ..."
3. The Religious Instruction of the Negroes in the United States by Charles Colcock Jones (1842)
"FOR the sake of perspicuity, the SKETCH is divided into PERIODS OF TIME — the first period, extending from the Introduction of the Negroes into the Country, ..."
4. A History of Philosophy: From Thales to the Present Time by Friedrich Ueberweg, George Sylvester Morris, Henry Boynton Smith, Noah Porter, Vincenzo Botta (1891)
"Zeller's first period extends from Thaïes to the Sophists, inclusive. ... In the first period all philosophy takes au immediately objective direction. ..."
5. The Proposed Amendments to the Constitution of the United States During the by Herman Vandenburg Ames (1897)
"THE first period: 1789-1803. This period, which covers the early years of our history, is characterized by the passage of the first ten amendments, ..."
6. Life and Times of Stein, Or, Germany and Prussia in the Napoleonic Age by John Robert Seeley (1879)
"The first period of the kind was the reign of Frederick William I., which saw the creation of that peculiar military and administrative system which has ..."
Other Resources Relating to: First period