Definition of Fowl pest
1. Noun. Either of two acute viral diseases of domestic fowl; characterized by refusal to eat and high temperature and discoloration of the comb.
Medical Definition of Fowl pest
1. Infection of domestic and wild fowl and other birds with influenza a virus, avian. (12 Dec 1998)
Fowl Pest Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Fowl Pest Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Fowl Pest
Literary usage of Fowl pest
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Special pathology and therapeutics of the diseases of domestic animals v. 2 by Ferenc Hutyra (1912)
"fowl pest is an acute, contagious, infectious disease of fowls, especially of geese, which in its course greatly resembles chicken cholera; it is however ..."
2. A Text-book of the Diseases of the Small Domestic Animals by Oscar Victor Brumley (1921)
"A second disinfection would be recommended before allowing birds to be placed in the buildings. fowl pest. Foid Plague. ..."
3. A Text-book of General Bacteriology by Edwin Oakes Jordan (1921)
"In other diseases (eg, poliomyelitis, pleuropneumonia, fowl pest) the specific micro-organism can be cultivated by methods similar to those used for ..."
4. Human Parasitology: With Notes on Bacteriology, Mycology, Laboratory by Damaso de Rivas (1920)
"fowl pest.—fowl pest is a disease of chickens, pheasants, and sparrows. It is characterized by a bloody diarrhea and a high mortality. Transmission. ..."
5. The Pathology and Differential Diagnosis of Infectious Diseases of Animals by Veranus Alva Moore (1916)
"18. WARD. Poultry diseases in < alifornia. Proceedings of the Am. Vet. Med Ax.io., 1*>4, p. Hi I. FOWL PLAGUE Si/noni/iiix: fowl pest; Vogelpest; bird pest; ..."
6. Biological Bulletin by Marine Biological Laboratory (Woods Hole, Mass.) (1916)
"... in foot and mouth disease inclusions are found in the vesicles; in fowl pest inclusions are found in the brain and in epithelioma contagiosum or fowl ..."
7. Hygiene of Communicable Diseases: A Handbook for Sanitarians, Medical by Francis Merton Munson, John Harington, Francis Randolph Packard, Fielding Hudson Garrison (1920)
"... verruca vulgaris, fowl diphtheria, fowl pest, Rous' chicken sarcoma,'foot and mouth disease, pleura-pneumonia of cattle, African horse sickness, ..."