Definition of Francisco jimenez de cisneros
1. Noun. Prelate who was the confessor of Isabella I and who was later appointed Grand Inquisitor (1436-1517).
Generic synonyms: Archpriest, Hierarch, High Priest, Prelate, Primate, Grand Inquisitor
Francisco Jimenez De Cisneros Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Francisco Jimenez De Cisneros Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Francisco Jimenez De Cisneros
Literary usage of Francisco jimenez de cisneros
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A History of Spanish Literature by James Fitzmaurice-Kelly (1898)
"... his principles in the new University of Alcala de Henares, founded in 1508 by the celebrated Cardinal Francisco Jimenez de Cisneros (1436-1517). ..."
2. The Rise of the Spanish Empire in the Old World and in the New by Roger Bigelow Merriman (1918)
"... del Cardenal Francisco Jimenez de Cisneros d Diego Lopez de Ayala (odd. Pascual Gayangos and Vicente de la Fuente, Madrid, 1867) contains letters from ..."
3. The Spanish Stage in the Time of Lope de Vega by Hugo Albert Rennert (1909)
"Gran Cardenal de España Fray Francisco Jimenez de Cisneros, published in Comedias Escogidas, Part XXXV, Madrid, 1671. When the Prince of Wales, ..."
4. Gustave Bergenroth: A Memorial Sketch by William Cornwallis Cartwright (1870)
"The private letters, however, spoke with less reserve, and contained secrets which, with 1 See Cartas del Cardenal Don Fray Francisco Jimenez de Cisneros, ..."
5. The Text and Canon of the New Testament by Alexander Souter (1913)
"... edition of the Greek New Testament belongs to the distinguished Spanish Cardinal Ximenes (Francisco Jimenez de Cisneros), who planned a great Bible, ..."
6. Queens of Old Spain by Martin Andrew Sharp Hume (1906)
"... and handed him unexpectedly the papal bull addressed to him as : The venerable brother Francisco Jimenez de Cisneros, Archbishop-elect of Toledo. ..."