Definition of French knot
1. Noun. A stitch made by looping the thread several times around the needle before inserting it into the fabric.
French Knot Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: French Knot Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of French Knot
Literary usage of French knot
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The House and Home: A Practical Book by Lyman Abbott (1896)
"Embroideries from Salónica, exhibited in the same case, are very interesing. french knot has the merit of great antiquity, appearing in early ..."
2. Clothing for Women; Selection, Design, Construction: A Practical Manual for by Laura Irene Baldt (1916)
"french knot. pockets, the ends of seams or the stitching of plaits on tailored garments. The simplest of these is called a Bar tack (Fig. ..."
3. Progressive Lessons in the Art and Practice of Needlework for Use in Schools by Catherine F. Johnson (1895)
"To make a french knot, fasten the thread ... This french knot is used only for embroidery. Outline-stitch is the stitch with which designs are outlined, ..."
4. Ladies' Manual of Art: Or, Profit and Pastime : a Self Teacher in All by Donohue, M. A. & Company, Chicago (1890)
"Now blindstitch it on the pattern, being careful to leave fullness enough to form folds in the petals, gathering them at the center, using the french knot, ..."
5. Vision: A Magazine for Youth (1889)
"Then form other petals and still others, the deej>- est colors to be near the center, which must be filled in with french knot? of yellow silk. ..."
6. Sewing: Handicraft for Girls; a Graded Course for City and Rural Schools by Idabelle McGlauflin (1918)
"Make as many petals as desired and finish with the french knot in the center of the flower. This stitch also makes a pretty star, using six points and ..."
7. Dictionary of Textiles by Louis Harmuth (1915)
"french knot—An embroidery stitch, made usually with heavy thread, producing a small knot. French System—Used in spinning worsted yarns. ..."