Definition of Fungus kingdom
1. Noun. The taxonomic kingdom including yeast, molds, smuts, mushrooms, and toadstools; distinct from the green plants.
Generic synonyms: Kingdom
Member holonyms: Fungus Family, Fungus Genus, Fungus Order, Division Gymnomycota, Division Myxomycota, Gymnomycota, Myxomycota, Phycomycetes, Phycomycetes Group, Division Lichenes, Lichenes, Fungus, Division Eumycota, Eumycota
Examples of category: Tremella Reticulata, Annulus, Skirt, Saprophytic
Fungus Kingdom Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Fungus Kingdom Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Fungus Kingdom
Literary usage of Fungus kingdom
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Eat Your Food! Gastronomical Glory from Garden to Gut: A Coastalfields ...by Aaron Brachfeld, Aaron Brachfeld and Mary Choate, Mary Choate by Aaron Brachfeld, Aaron Brachfeld and Mary Choate, Mary Choate (2007)
"... Fungi belong to the fungus Kingdom, though they used to be classified as plants. Fungi are uninucleate or multinucleate, eukaryotic organisms with their ..."
2. Proceedings of the American Pharmaceutical Association at the Annual Meeting by American Pharmaceutical Association, National Pharmaceutical Convention, American Pharmaceutical Association Meeting (1879)
"... and the question, therefore, presented itself as to what free acid or acid salt could be so widely distributed throughout the fungus kingdom. ..."
3. Rambles in Search of Flowerless Plants by Margaret Plues (1864)
"... of of the fungus kingdom, where the dangerous members of the dust class are to be found. Here is Smut (U. segetum), which takes its rise within the ..."
4. Manual of Plant Diseases by Paul Sorauer, Gustav Lindau, Ludwig Reh (1922)
"At this time Elias Fries' classic work was published including all the known varieties of the fungus kingdom with clear diagnoses of genera and species. ..."