Definition of Gaff topsail
1. Noun. A triangular fore-and-aft sail with its foot along the gaff and its luff on the topmast.
Gaff Topsail Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Gaff Topsail Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gaff Topsail
gaff topsail (current term)
Literary usage of Gaff topsail
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: “a” Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature edited by Hugh Chisholm (1911)
"... 2, jib —behind it is the foresail; 3, cross-trees and topmast- shroud ; 4, pennant designating the club to which she belongs ; 5, gaff-topsail ; 6, ..."
2. Scientific American Reference Book by Albert Allis Hopkins, Alexander Russell Bond (1913)
"... Ba lug, Ca split lug, Da sloop (having a single mast and only fore and aft sails}, Ea sloop having a gaff topsail, Fa lateen rig, Ga skipjack (haying no ..."
3. Report on the Ship-building Industry of the United States by Henry Hall (1884)
"In after years the square topsail was given up and a gaff topsail was bent in its place, being a large triangle of canvas hoisted along the mast above the ..."
4. Mechanical Movements, Powers, Devices and Appliances, Used in Constructive by Gardner Dexter Hiscox (1899)
"... except the foretop, which is a square sail bent to a yard, i, flying-jib; 2,jib; 4, foresail; 5, mainsail; 9, fore-topsail; 13, main gaff-topsail. 779. ..."
5. Mechanical Movements, Powers and Devices: Contains: an Illustrated by Gardner Dexter Hiscox (1903)
"Main- and fore-sail, two or three jibs, and two topsails, i, flying-jib ; 2, jib; 3, foretop staysail; 4, foresail; 5, mainsail; 12, fore gaff-topsail; 13, ..."
6. Mechanical Movements, Powers, Devices and Appliances by Gardner Dexter Hiscox (1899)
"I, flying-jib; 2,jib; 4, foresail; 5, mainsail; 9, fore-topsail; 13, main gaff-topsail. 779. CLUB TOPSAIL RIG.—In addition to the full schooner rig, ..."