Definition of Garment-worker
1. Noun. A person who makes garments.
Specialized synonyms: Cloakmaker, Furrier, Dressmaker, Modiste, Needlewoman, Seamstress, Sempstress, Outfitter, Stitcher, Sartor, Seamster, Tailor
Generic synonyms: Needleworker
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Garment-worker Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Garment-worker
Literary usage of Garment-worker
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Failures and Promises of the California Garment Industry: Hearing Before the edited by Peter Hoekstra (2000)
"Because every life, including the life of every garment worker, has value, ... STATEMENT OF ENRIQUETA SOTO, GARMENT WORKER Ms. Soto. Good morning. ..."
2. Special bulletin by New York (State). Dept. of Labor (1915)
"1, Ladle« (Cloak and Suit Operators) M. Sterling, P, 1700 Prospect PI., Brooklyn Bernhard Fried, FS, 121 E. 18th St. Garment Worker« No. ..."
3. New Dictionary of South African Biography by E. W. Verwey, Human Sciences Research Council (1995)
"Johannesburg, 1961; — Interview with J. Cornelius, supplied by S. Greenberg. Yale, [1974?]; — Obituaries: Garment Worker/ ..."
4. The Clothing Industry in New York by Jesse Eliphalet Pope (1905)
"In the case of clothing also, the garment worker in New York City possesses a ... The garment worker is not exposed to the weather and the occupation is not ..."
5. The Johns Hopkins University Studies in Historical and Political Science by Johns Hopkins University (1912)
"He estimates that one-half the coat tailors are now on the piece system 'Garment Worker. December, 1895; January, 1896; August, 1898; Proceedings, 1899; ..."
6. The Boycott in American Trade Unions by Leo Wolman (1916)
"... sent an agent on the road to act against the unfair houses" (Proceedings of the Sixth Convention, in the Garment Worker, January, 1898, p. 5). ..."
7. Shop Collective Bargaining: A Study of Wage Determination in the Men's by Francis Joseph Haas (1922)
"83 Industrial Relations, Final Report and Testimony, Vol. II, p. 1981. 84 The Garment Worker, loc. cit. ..."