Definition of Genus Ardea
1. Noun. Type genus of the Ardeidae: large New and Old World herons.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Ardeidae, Family Ardeidae
Member holonyms: Ardea Herodius, Great Blue Heron, Ardea Occidentalis, Great White Heron
Genus Ardea Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Ardea Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Ardea
Literary usage of Genus Ardea
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge by Charles Knight (1838)
"... The genus Ardea, in the 12th edition of the Systema Na- ... most of which were comprised originally in the genus Ardea of ..."
2. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1907)
"genus Ardea. Ardea LINN^US, Syst. Nat., ed. 10, 1758, 141. 19 species, representing 14 modern genera. 2 orders, and 3 families. ..."
3. An introduction to the Birds of Australia by John Gould (1848)
"Genus ARDEA. The Herons range over every part of the globe. The sixteen species inhabiting Australia include examples of the genera Ardea, Herodias, ..."
4. The Birds of Eastern North America Known to Occur East of the Nineteenth by Charles Barney Cory, Field Museum of Natural History (1899)
"genus Ardea. LINN. 148 (192) ARDEA OCCIDENTALS. AUD. Great White Heron. Resident in Florida ; breeds in December on the keys ; has been taken in Illinois. ..."