Definition of Genus Encephalartos
1. Noun. Genus of arborescent African cycads; sometimes classified in family Cycadaceae.
Group relationships: Family Zamiaceae, Zamia Family, Zamiaceae
Member holonyms: Encephalartos, Encephalartos Caffer, Kaffir Bread
Genus Encephalartos Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Encephalartos Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Encephalartos
Literary usage of Genus Encephalartos
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society by Cambridge Philosophical Society (1898)
"... genus Encephalartos. In 1895" I called attention to the unusual form of the ... which is usually regarded as characteristic of the genus. Encephalartos ..."
2. Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society by Royal Horticultural Society (Great Britain). (1893)
"The genus Encephalartos is peculiar to Africa, chiefly in the south, but some species are found within the Tropics. In it the scales are peltate, ..."
3. Journal of Botany, British and Foreign (1867)
"The recent genus tb which these fruits are most nearly related is the South African genus Encephalartos. Associated with the cones at Brook Point are found ..."
4. The Useful plants of the island of Guam: With an Introductory Account of the by William Edwin Safford (1905)
"... plants of the genus Encephalartos yield the "caffre-bread" of Africa; l>'nx>n finii produces the "cabeza de chamal" of Mexico; in Central America, ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Genus Encephalartos