Definition of Genus Eschscholtzia
1. Noun. Showy herbs of western North America.
Generic synonyms: Dilleniid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Family Papaveraceae, Papaveraceae, Poppy Family
Member holonyms: California Poppy, Eschscholtzia Californica
Genus Eschscholtzia Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Eschscholtzia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Eschscholtzia
Literary usage of Genus Eschscholtzia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Magazine of Horticulture, Botany, and All Useful Discoveries and by C M Hovey (1837)
"With regard to the alteration of the genus Eschscholtzia to that of Chryseis, ... of the well known and universally admired genus Eschscholtzia, which, ..."
2. The Encyclopædia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"... and the Zoologischer Atlas (1820-1833) The botanical genus Eschscholtzia was named by Adelbert von Chamisso in his honour. ESCHWEGE, a town of Germany, ..."
3. The Golden Poppy by Emory Evans Smith (1902)
"In fact, he is very conservative; hence his conclusions may be taken with confidence. ACCEPTED SPECIES GENUS Eschscholtzia,Chamisso. ..."
4. Synoptical Flora of North America by Asa Gray, Sereno Watson (1897)
"... and in the genus Eschscholtzia) : ovary superior : receptacle usually small, rarely developed into a discoid expansion ..."
5. Proserpina: Studies of Wayside Flowers, While the Air was Yet Pure Among the by John Ruskin (1879)
"... on either question—I am told to "observe the floral receptacle of the Californian genus Eschscholtzia." Now I can't observe anything of the sort, ..."
6. Lessons in Elementary Botany: The Part of Systematic Botany Based Upon by Daniel Oliver, John Stevens Henslow (1895)
"Observe also the floral receptacle of the Californian genus, Eschscholtzia, a common garden annual, with orange flowers; the receptacle grows up around the ..."