Definition of Genus Eupatorium
1. Noun. Large genus of chiefly tropical herbs having heads of white or purplish flowers.
Generic synonyms: Asterid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Aster Family, Asteraceae, Compositae, Family Asteraceae, Family Compositae
Member holonyms: Eupatorium Maculatum, Joe-pye Weed, Spotted Joe-pye Weed, Agueweed, Boneset, Eupatorium Perfoliatum, Thoroughwort, Eupatorium Purpureum, Joe-pye Weed, Marsh Milkweed, Purple Boneset, Trumpet Weed
Genus Eupatorium Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Eupatorium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Eupatorium
Literary usage of Genus Eupatorium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Pittonia by Edward Lee Greene (1905)
"... proposed to separate this aquatic tick- sovd from the genus Eupatorium and to make it the type of a new genus which he denominated BIDENS. ..."
2. Agricultural Botany: An Enumeration and Description of Useful Plants and by William Darlington (1847)
"... specially typified by the genus Eupatorium. two-edged т?™,. E»(tre,having a continuous even margin; .without incision, notch, or tooth. Envelope. ..."
3. Memoirs by Gray Herbarium, Harvard University Gray Herbarium (1917)
"... between Brickellia with its normally 10-ribbed achenes and the great and already unwieldy genus Eupatorium, in which the achenes are normally 5-angled. ..."
4. Rhodora by New England Botanical Club (1907)
"... Kunth (1821) and the latter of a subdivision of the genus Eupatorium Stockh. 1821, p. 167, t. 3, for the former is merely a synonym of the genus L. ..."
5. A Dictionary of Medical Terminology, Dental Surgery, and the Collateral Sciences by Chapin Aaron Harris (1855)
"... surface of metals ; the mercury being driven off by heat, a thin layer of gold remains. WATER HEMP. A plant of the genus Eupatorium. WATER IN THE HEAD. ..."