Definition of Genus Euplectella
1. Noun. A genus of Hyalospongiae.
Generic synonyms: Sponge Genus
Group relationships: Class Hyalospongiae, Hyalospongiae
Member holonyms: Venus's Flower Basket
Genus Euplectella Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Euplectella Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Euplectella
Literary usage of Genus Euplectella
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine (1869)
"The same course of argument applies to the genus Euplectella, also founded in error, as any one who will refer to the original paper descriptive of the type ..."
2. A Monograph of the British Spongiadæ by James Scott Bowerbank (1864)
"Now as it is manifest that the reasoning of Professor Owen in favour of his proposed genus Euplectella is based, not upon one only, but upon a series of ..."
3. Proceedings of the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh by Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh (1880)
"... to reverse his terms of upper and lower, apical and basal, etc. In 1857 Professor Owen described fa second species of the same genus, Euplectella ..."
4. Nature by Nature Publishing Group, Norman Lockyer (1883)
"The beautiful sponge belonging to the genus Euplectella, now known to live anchored in the mud in deep seas, or attached to the hard bottoms of shallower ..."
5. The Life of Richard Owen by Richard Owen (1894)
"On the genus Euplectella aspergillum' (Venus' Flower-basket) (' Zoological Transactions'). At the end of January 1841 Owen received from De Blainville a ..."