Definition of Genus Gavialis
1. Noun. Type genus of the Gavialidae.
Generic synonyms: Reptile Genus
Group relationships: Family Gavialidae, Gavialidae
Member holonyms: Gavial, Gavialis Gangeticus
Genus Gavialis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Gavialis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Gavialis
Literary usage of Genus Gavialis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Publication by Palaeontographical Society (Great Britain) (1850)
"Genus—GAVIALIS, Oppel. GAVIALIS DIXONI, Owen. Tab. X. The characters of the genus Gavialis are much more strongly marked than are those which distinguish ..."
2. Descriptive Catalogue of the Fossil Organic Remains of Reptilia and Pisces by Museum, Royal College of Surgeons of England (1854)
"genus Gavialis. 24. A mass of pyritic clay, including a portion of the dentary element of the lower jaw of the Gavialis Dixoni. See Tab. 12. figs. ..."
3. On the Anatomy of Vertebrates by Richard Owen (1866)
"... preceding genera the alveolar borders of the jaw have an uneven or wavy contour, and the teeth are of an unequal size. In the Gavials (genus Gavialis) ..."
4. On the Anatomy of Vertebrates by Richard Owen (1866)
"... alveolar borders of the jaw have an uneven or wavy contour, and the teeth are of an unequal si/e. In the Ga vials (genus Gavialis) the teeth are nearly ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Genus Gavialis