Definition of Genus Liriodendron
1. Noun. Tulip trees.
Generic synonyms: Magnoliid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Family Magnoliaceae, Magnolia Family, Magnoliaceae
Member holonyms: Canary Whitewood, Liriodendron Tulipifera, Tulip Poplar, Tulip Tree, Yellow Poplar
Genus Liriodendron Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Liriodendron Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Liriodendron
Literary usage of Genus Liriodendron
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin (1884)
"We have thus eight specific forms of leaves representing the clearly denned type or genus Liriodendron, all differing so greatly that it is not possible to ..."
2. Botanical Gazette by University of Chicago, JSTOR (Organization) (1902)
"Holm,6 in his paper on the leaves of Liriodendron, goes still further, and insists that the notched apex is the true test of the genus Liriodendron, ..."
3. History of the Lumber Industry of America by James Elliott Defebaugh (1906)
"119" The genus Liriodendron, with a single species. is found in eastern North America and western China. It was represented by several species in the ..."
4. An Introduction to the Study of Fossils (plants and Animals) by Hervey Woodburn Shimer (1914)
"These are the sole survivors of the genus Liriodendron which had formerly a far wider distribution. Appearing first in the Cretaceous in great variety and ..."
5. Contributions to the Fossil Flora of the Western Territories by Leo Lesquereux (1874)
"Though the specimen represents a fragment, the upper part of a leaf, it is sufficient to show the relation of this leaf to the genus Liriodendron. ..."
6. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1907)
"The genus Liriodendron, which has such an extremely interesting geological history,1 has furnished a large number of American Cretaceous species ranging ..."