Definition of Genus Melolontha
1. Noun. A genus of Melolonthidae.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Melolonthidae, Subfamily Melolonthidae
Member holonyms: Cockchafer, May Beetle, May Bug, Melolontha Melolontha
Genus Melolontha Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Melolontha Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Melolontha
Literary usage of Genus Melolontha
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Century Dictionary: An Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language by William Dwight Whitney (1890)
"... + -ida:] Л family of lamellicorn beetles, typified by the genus Melolontha ; now generally reduced to a subfamily of ..."
2. Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge by Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (Great Britain) (1839)
"... and Serica. and some subgenera of minor importance. Species of this family are found in all parts of the world. In the genus Melolontha the ..."
3. A Report on the Insects of Massachusetts, Injurious to Vegetation by Thaddeus William Harris (1841)
"... before alluded to, I proposed to restrict the genus Melolontha to those species that have more than three leaves in the knob of the antennae, ..."
4. Forest Entomology by Alexander Thomson Gillanders (1908)
"FAMILY Genus MELOLONTHA. This is exclusively an arboreal genus, inasmuch as it only contains two species, both of which are arboreal in their habits. ..."