Definition of Genus Nucifraga
1. Noun. Nutcrackers.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Corvidae, Family Corvidae
Member holonyms: Nutcracker
Genus Nucifraga Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Nucifraga Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Nucifraga
Literary usage of Genus Nucifraga
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1907)
"1. Type, as designated by Gray (1840), by elimination, and by common consent, Corvus corax Linn., the first species. genus Nucifraga. ..."
2. A Hand-book to the Birds of Great Britain by Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1896)
"genus Nucifraga. Nucifraga, Briss., Orn., ii., p. 58 (1760). Type, N. caryocatactes (Linn.). The Nutcrackers differ in structure from the Rooks, the Ravens, ..."
3. Birds by Eugene William Oates, William Thomas Blanford (1889)
"... a tree and laying from four to six eggs. These are like those of the last species and measure 1-15 by '85. Genus NUCIFRAGA, Briss., 1760. ..."
4. An Introduction to the Birds of Great Britain by John Gould (1873)
"Genus NUCIFRAGA. Only three or four species of Nutcracker have yet been characterized. They are inhabitants of Europe and Asia. 197. ..."
5. The American Cyclopædia: A Popular Dictionary of General Knowledge by Charles Anderson Dana (1875)
"... which they fix in a cleft or hollow, whence they are sometimes called nutcrackers, a name which properly belongs to the genus nucifraga. ..."