Definition of Genus Onoclea
1. Noun. One species: sensitive fern; in some classifications included in Polypodiaceae.
Generic synonyms: Fern Genus
Group relationships: Athyriaceae, Dryopteridaceae, Family Athyriaceae, Family Dryopteridaceae
Member holonyms: Bead Fern, Onoclea Sensibilis, Sensitive Fern
Genus Onoclea Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Onoclea Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Onoclea
Literary usage of Genus Onoclea
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Reports Dealing with the Systematic Geology and Paleontology of Maryland by Maryland Geological Survey (1916)
"... but subsequently was removed to the ferns because of its resemblance to the modern genus Onoclea, a resemblance that is close ..."
2. Studies in Natural History by University of Iowa (1899)
"If the species is retained in the genus Onoclea the name would be Onoclea struthiopteris (L.) Hoffm. If placed in a separate genus several possibilities ..."
3. An Introduction to the Study of Cryptogamous Plants: In Letters by Kurt Polycarp Joachim Sprengel (1807)
"I have above shown, that the genus Onoclea is nearest allied to Acrostichum, and is only distinct from it in having an involucre, which originates from the ..."
4. Annals of Botany by Carl Dietrich Eberhard König, John Sims (1806)
"... lilis can no longer be considered as belonging to the genus Onoclea: it is indeed furnished, like the true ..."
5. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1897)
"... detailing with some particularity the results of his experiments upon ferns of the genus Onoclea, in which by mutilation at certain periods be was able ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Genus Onoclea