Definition of Genus Papaver
1. Noun. Type genus of the Papaveraceae; chiefly bristly hairy herbs with usually showy flowers.
Generic synonyms: Dilleniid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Family Papaveraceae, Papaveraceae, Poppy Family
Member holonyms: Iceland Poppy, Papaver Alpinum, Papaver Californicum, Western Poppy, Papaver Argemone, Prickly Poppy, Arctic Poppy, Iceland Poppy, Papaver Nudicaule, Oriental Poppy, Papaver Orientale, Corn Poppy, Field Poppy, Flanders Poppy, Papaver Rhoeas, Opium Poppy, Papaver Somniferum
Genus Papaver Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Papaver Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Papaver
Literary usage of Genus Papaver
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Journal of Botany, British and Foreign (1895)
"... horns under the apex of the sepals, both fail us within the limits of the group of species that we are accustomed to treat as forming the genus Papaver. ..."
2. Medicinal Plants: Being Descriptions with Original Figures of the Principal by Robert Bentley, Henry Trimen (1880)
"genus Papaver,* Linn. B. & H., Gen., i, p. 51; Baill., Hist. P!., iii, p. 137. Species about 20, natives of the temperate and warm regions of the Old World. ..."
3. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"... and various species of genus Papaver. Unless mod- fied >by some adjective as above the term ..."
4. The English Cyclopaedia by Charles Knight (1867)
"The genus Papaver has two convex deciduous sepals ; petals 4 ; stamens numerous ; style wanting ; stigmas 4 to 20, radiating and sessile upon a disc which ..."
5. Botanical Abstracts by Board of Control of Botanical Abstracts (1921)
"... of the stamens into carpels in the genus Papaver.] Compt. Rend. Soc. Biol. 83: 1521-1523. 1920.—Papaver bracteatum ordinarily shows few variations. ..."