Definition of Genus Phegopteris
1. Noun. Beech ferns: genus is variously classified: considered alternative name for genus Dryopteris or included in genus Thelypteris.
Generic synonyms: Fern Genus
Group relationships: Family Thelypteridaceae, Thelypteridaceae
Member holonyms: Beech Fern
Genus Phegopteris Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Phegopteris Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Phegopteris
Literary usage of Genus Phegopteris
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The British Ferns: Or, Coloured Figures and Descriptions, with the Needful ...by William Jackson Hooker by William Jackson Hooker (1861)
"... which distinguishes Fee's genus Phegopteris from true ... It is singular that while Moore rejects the genus Phegopteris, the cautious ..."
2. Studies in Natural History by University of Iowa (1899)
"In 1850-1852 Fee established the genus Phegopteris to which our species was referred. Up to this point, then, the synonymy would stand as follows: Poly ..."
3. The Linnean Fern Bulletin by Linnaean Fern Chapter, Willard Nelson Clute (1893)
"... often occur in these barren places, but its relatives of the genus Phegopteris differ from it in habitat almost as much as their fronds do in texture. ..."
4. Historia filicum: An Exposition of the Nature, Number and Organography of by John Smith (1875)
"These numerous species vary greatly in the size and circumspection of their fronds, agreeing in general habit with the genus Phegopteris, the want of ..."