Definition of Genus Podargus
1. Noun. Type genus of the Podargidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Podargidae, Podargidae
Genus Podargus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Podargus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Podargus
Literary usage of Genus Podargus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Austral English: A Dictionary of Australasian Words, Phrases and Usages with by Edward Ellis Morris (1898)
"... does not accord with the mode of flight of the genus Podargus." Frontage, n. land along a river or creek, of great importance to a station. ..."
2. An introduction to the Birds of Australia by John Gould (1848)
"Genus PODARGUS. With no one group of the Australian birds have I had so much difficulty in discriminating the species as the genus Podargus. ..."
3. Encyclopaedia Britannica, a Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and edited by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"We have next to consider the birds forming the genus Podargus and those allied to it, whether they be regarded as a distinct family, or as a subfamily ..."
4. Transactions of the Linnean Society of London by Linnean Society of London (1827)
"From M. Cuvier's genus Podargus the former group also differs in its general comparatively weaker conformation, holding in this respect an intermediate ..."