Definition of Genus Scutigera
1. Noun. A genus of Scutigeridae.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Family Scutigeridae, Scutigeridae
Member holonyms: House Centipede, Scutigera Coleoptrata
Genus Scutigera Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Scutigera Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Scutigera
Literary usage of Genus Scutigera
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Library of Natural History by Richard Lydekker (1901)
"The species of the genus Scutigera are distributed over all tropical and subtropical countries. Most are of small size, ..."
2. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Held at Philadelphia for by American Philosophical Society (1886)
"I will only refer to my previous papers, in which I have strenuously opposed the views of Alex. Brandt, when he regards the genus Scutigera to be a special ..."
3. The New American Cyclopaedia: A Popular Dictionary of General Knowledge by George Ripley, Charles Anderson Dana (1859)
"The genus scutigera (Lam.) has the body covered with 8 plates, 15 pairs of legs, and large reticulated eyes ; they are nocturnal in their habits, ..."
4. The New International Encyclopædia edited by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby (1902)
"... stout myriapods, and the genus Scutigera is distinguished by its long legs, but is rare in the T'nited States north of ..."
5. The New International Encyclopaedia edited by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby (1906)
"... stout myriapods, and the genus Scutigera is distinguished by its long legs, but is rare in the United States north of New York City. ..."
6. Forms of Animal Life: A Manual of Comparative Anatomy : with Descriptions of by George Rolleston, William Hatchett Jackson (1888)
"A single pair of stigmata opens in the pleural membrane of all or certain somites in Chilopoda, with the exception of the genus Scutigera, which has a ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Genus Scutigera