Definition of Genus aythya
1. Noun. Canvasback; redhead; pochard; etc..
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Anatidae, Family Anatidae
Member holonyms: Aythya Valisineria, Canvasback, Canvasback Duck, Aythya Ferina, Pochard, Aythya Americana, Redhead, Bluebill, Broadbill, Scaup, Scaup Duck
Genus Aythya Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Aythya Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Aythya
Literary usage of Genus aythya
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Birds of Eastern North America Known to Occur East of the Nineteenth by Charles Barney Cory, Field Museum of Natural History (1899)
"genus aythya. BOIE. 103 (146) AYTHYA AMERICANA. (Err.) Red-head Duck. North America in general; breeds from northern portions of United States northward. ..."
2. Geology of New Jersey by New Jersey Geological Survey, George Hammell Cook (1868)
"Genus AYTHYA. Aythya vallisneria. Canvas-back. Not abundant, although annually killed, not only on the sea-board but occasionally on the Delaware River, ..."
3. Handbook of Birds of the Western United States: Including the Great Plains by Florence Merriam Bailey (1921)
"genus aythya is now Marila and Subgenus Nyroca precedes Marila americana. 57. Subgenus Fuligula is now Marila. 72. Genus Tantalus is now Mycteria. 74. ..."
4. Handbook of Birds of Eastern North America: With Keys to the Species and by Frank Michler Chapman (1895)
"The Ducks of the genus Aythya possess to some extent the habits of both the River Ducks and true Sea Ducks. They are divers in deep water, but along the ..."
5. The New International Encyclopædia edited by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby (1904)
"Any of several ducks of the Northern Hemisphere, of the same genus (Aythya) as that of the canvasback and redhead, and having similar habits. ..."