Definition of Genus cicuta
1. Noun. Small genus of perennial herbs having deadly poisonous tuberous roots: water hemlock.
Generic synonyms: Rosid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Apiaceae, Carrot Family, Family Apiaceae, Family Umbelliferae, Umbelliferae
Member holonyms: Cicuta Verosa, Water Hemlock, Spotted Cowbane, Spotted Hemlock, Spotted Water Hemlock
Genus Cicuta Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Cicuta Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Cicuta
Literary usage of Genus cicuta
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Dictionary of medical terminology, dental surgery, and the collateral sciences by Chapin Aaron Harris, Ferdinand James Samuel Gorgas (1882)
"Until recently the term was often applied to Conium maculatura, a dill'orent genus. Cicuta Aquat'ica. Cicuta virosa, an active poison, seldom employed ..."
2. Transactions of the Medical Society of the County of Albany by Medical Society of the County of Albany (1872)
"The genus cicuta is represented in this country by two species, cicuta maculata and cicuta bulbifera, the former having two or three tuberous roots as large ..."
3. The Homoeopathic Materia Medica: Arranged Systematically and Practically by Alphonse Teste (1854)
"Camphor probably antidotes this drug. Cicuta Virosa—Cicutaria of Lamarck.—Poisonous Hemlock.1—A perennial plant—Genus, Cicuta—Family, ..."
4. The Americana: A Universal Reference Library, Comprising the Arts and ...by George Edwin Rines, Frederick Converse Beach by George Edwin Rines, Frederick Converse Beach (1912)
"Another species of the genus Cicuta has glaucous leaves springing directly from the ground, and a fleshy root with two distinct parts; a vertical rootstock, ..."
5. The Vascular Flora of Pennsylvania: Annotated Checklist and Atlas by Ann Fowler Rhoads, William M. Klein (1993)
"The genus Cicuta in North America. Can.]. Bot. 58:1755-1767. Pryer, KM and LR Phillippe. 1989. A synopsis of the genus Sanicula (Apiaceae) in eastern Canada ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Genus cicuta