Definition of Genus cypripedium
1. Noun. Genus of chiefly American perennial leafy-stemmed orchids: lady's slippers; sometimes includes species of genus Paphiopedilum.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Member holonyms: Cypripedia, Ladies' Slipper, Lady's Slipper, Lady-slipper, Slipper Orchid
Genus Cypripedium Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Cypripedium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Cypripedium
Literary usage of Genus cypripedium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Cyclopedia of American Horticulture: Comprising Suggestions for Cultivation by Liberty Hyde Bailey, Wilhelm Miller (1900)
"The genus Cypripedium is naturally not a large one. Ben- t hun i and Hooker think that the species are less than 40. The .species have been much hybridiz*! ..."
2. Report by British Association for the Advancement of Science (1887)
"Note on the Floral Symmetry of the genus cypripedium. By Dr. MAXWELL T. MASTERS, FRS In this note the author adverted to so much of the normal structure of ..."
3. The Various Contrivances by which Orchids are Fertilised by Insects by Charles Darwin (1904)
"WE have now arrived at Lindley's last and seventh tribe, including, according to most botanists, only a single genus, Cypripedium, which differs from all ..."
4. The Treasury of Botany: A Popular Dictionary of the Vegetable Kingdom; with by John Lindley (1866)
"This curious deviation from the ordinary state of an orchid flower is characteristic of the genus Cypripedium (that is to say, suoe of Venus). ..."