Definition of Genus echeneis
1. Noun. Type genus of the Echeneididae: typical remoras.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Echeneididae, Family Echeneidae, Family Echeneididae
Member holonyms: Echeneis Naucrates, Sharksucker
Genus Echeneis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Echeneis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Echeneis
Literary usage of Genus echeneis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Geology of New Jersey by New Jersey Geological Survey, George Hammell Cook (1868)
"Crab-eater. A very rare fish that occasionally is met with on our coast, and in Delaware B»y. Genus ECHENEIS. ..."
2. Natural History: A Manual of Zoology for Schools, Colleges, and the General by Sanborn Tenney (1872)
"The genus echeneis is the prin- Fig. 228. Fig. 229. White-tailed Remora, E. albicauda, Mitch. Disk of Remora. cipal one. The species are few, ..."
3. Reports of the North Carolina Geological and Economic Survey (1907)
"... ventrals narrowly attached to abdomen. 22 to 32; pectorals rounded; ventrals broadly attached to abdomen ECHENEIS. LEPT ECHENEIS. Genus ECHENEIS ..."
4. Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales by Linnean Society of New South Wales (1881)
"Genus ECHENEIS, Artedi. Body fusiform, with very small scales ; head depressed ; the spinous dorsal modified into an adhesive disk ; no keel on the side of ..."