Definition of Genus elodea
1. Noun. Submerged freshwater perennials.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Hydrocharidaceae, Family Hydrocharitaceae, Frog's-bit Family, Frogbit Family, Hydrocharidaceae, Hydrocharitaceae
Member holonyms: Waterweed
Genus Elodea Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Elodea Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Elodea
Literary usage of Genus elodea
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Transactions of the Botanical Society by Botanical Society of Edinburgh (1850)
"... from his father's notes, by the younger Michaux in 1803, and that as the genus Elodea is found there, it would appear that he is the true author of the ..."
2. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1872)
"1), and had previously described the genus Elodea in 1803 ( Mich. Fl. Bor. Amer. i. 20 ). In the latter work he refers E. guyanensis to that genus, ..."
3. Botanical Abstracts by Board of Control of Botanical Abstracts (1920)
"... distinct from Coniferales and nearer Ginkgo.—WP Thompson. 575. ST. JOHN, HAROLD. The genus Elodea In New England. Rhodora 22: 17-29. 1920. —See Bot. ..."
4. Jahrbücher für wissenschaftliche Botanik (1858)
"26) übertrugen daher den Richard'schen Charakter des genus elodea auf den Namen Udora Nutt., indem bei ihnen Udora nicht, ..."