Definition of Genus epipactis
1. Noun. Genus of hardy orchids with leafy-bracted racemes of greenish or purplish irregular flowers.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Member holonyms: Helleborine, Epipactis Helleborine, Chatterbox, Epipactis Gigantea, Giant Helleborine, Stream Orchid
Genus Epipactis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Epipactis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Epipactis
Literary usage of Genus epipactis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Our Native Orchids: A Series of Drawings from Nature of All the Species by William Hamilton Gibson, Helena Dewey Leeming Jelliffe (1905)
"... lack of a scientific eye, and a more distinctive name, it may grow in many places unknown to botanists. The genus Epipactis belongs to the same group as ..."
2. The Plant World by Plant World Association, Wild Flower Preservation Society (U.S.) (1902)
"... therefore, is the Greek name for helleborine or false hellebore; and is the designation for species of the Orchis family under the genus Epipactis. ..."
3. The Plant World by Plant World Association, Wild Flower Preservation Society (U.S.), Wild Flower Preservation Society of America (1902)
"... or false hellebore; and is the designation for species of the Orchis family under the genus Epipactis. The plicate leaves of Epipactis apparently became ..."
4. Journal of Botany, British and Foreign (1904)
"On the puzzling forms of the genus Epipactis Mr. Purchas thought and observed much; see his remarks upon the so-called Herefordshire E. ovalis Bab. in Fl. ..."